What would your first pick for a pet be?

Monday, May 3, 2010

To "Fix" or To Breed? That Is The Question?!

Hey all! I’m about to talk to you guys on a personal note, and explain to you how upset I am and why. For all of you who have dogs and didn’t mate them, or don’t plan to, you’ll know exactly where I’m coming from. It’s “fix” them, or breed them. In other words, get them spayed or neutered or mate them. I was always against mating my pit for a number of reasons, number one being that I refuse to mate my pit and have a bunch of pit puppies distributed and obtained by the wrong people (that would just create a vicious cycle). The 2nd reason being that, I did not want to destroy my dogs body. She is very fit and once she gets pregnant, everything goes hay wire (kind of like women).

So now here is the upsetting part. I never planned on mating Fendi as you know, and I certainly did not want to get her “fixed” because that would also make her fat, so it’s kind of like a lose lose situation. What I didn’t know is that by not doing either is harming her, and will eventually shorten her life span. I want to give a thanks to the guy in my neighborhood, who walks his pit on a daily basis for telling me this info. So with this said and done, I panicked. Shorten her life span? Surgery? Are you kidding me? Not my Fendi, what else can I do to get out of this? Nothing, this has to be done.

Immediately I run to call the vet to schedule an appointment, there is one bad thing; Dogs usually get “fixed” within their first few months of life, Fendi is now 7. Scary huh? Tell me about it. Her scheduled date is May 21st, and I’m dreading every moment of it. Why is a dogs life so complicated? Let me answer that; it is because they are like humans in many ways.

The reason I am posting this is because I want to give insight to those of you who didn’t know that mating or “fixing” can kill your dog. I am going to give you some more in depth information on the particulars of spaying or neutering your pup.

If you DO NOT spay/neuter you dog, this is what can happen:
1. Unwanted puppies can occur, leaving them with no home, or a bad home
2. Females, if not spayed between 6-9 months of age can develop mammary (breast) cancer
3. Dogs can become aggressive
4. Females and males will urinate in your home
5. Prostate problems occur


If you DO spay/neuter your dog, these are the perks:
1. Reduced chance of developing mammary cancer (females)
2. Spayed females can’t develop pyometra (an infection of the uterus that can result in death)
3. Less likely to roam
4. Better temperament develops
5. Longer overall life span
6. Prevents prostate problems
7. Just overall, the right thing to do, even if it seems horrible for US, it’s what’s best for our pups!

Now let me tell you what spaying is and which gender this applies to. Spaying is for female dogs. This involves the removal of both of the uterus and the ovaries. Neutering is, by default, for the male dogs. This involves castration, better known as the removal of the dogs testicles (ouch)! But it’s just as bad for both male and females, let’s not have more sympathy for one over the other.

Now I’ve heard that once a dog is over 5, the surgery is a little more detailed, not impossible, just a little harder. The minute I heard this, my heart fell into my big toe, not something I wanted to hear being that I love my dog sometimes more than humans. However, this is not a CHOICE for me, you or any dog owner. So if you’re considering doing this soon, here are some aftercare instructions:

1. Restrict jumping and playing for 7 days (activity can cause the incision to open)
2. Keep your dog away from other animals (rough play can be dangerous)
3. Check surgery site daily
4. Wait 10 days after surgery to bathe your dog
5. If your dog begins to vomit, contact your vet right away

Although surgery seems to be a scary word and the fact that our dogs are receiving anesthesia is a very scary thing, but we are also being selfish and not understanding that in the long run, these dogs will be much happier and live a much more healthy life. My situation is a little different, my pit is older than the normal age of 6-9 months, and this is because (as I stated), I did not intend to ever do this, I didn’t think it was such a severe thing, but I’m glad I found out sooner than later.

What I need people to know and to never forget is that a dog requires the same health care that humans do. DO NOT purchase or adopt a dog without being willing to accept the responsibilities that come with it. This is where unwanted puppies come into play, as well as dogs dieing unnecessarily, when whatever ailment they had could have been cared for. There is also health coverage for dogs, just as is for humans. For more information on this, you can go to the ASPCA website @ aspca.org.

So with all that said, let’s pray for Fendi on this surgery I am dreading.

2 comments:

  1. I like this post because you are often told by the vet, or it is common knowledge to get your dog neutered, but I never really knew why. I found it helpful in case I ever get another dog, especially a female.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is one of my favorites because you show that you are an expert in this field. You also show the pros and cons of fixing your dog, meaning it isn't biased. Great post.

    ReplyDelete